ROMs Complete TOSEC Sets - Archive.org

VyvyanBasterd

Emulator Compiler to the stars
I recently found this link and thought I would share :)
Welcome to TOSEC: The Old School Emulation Center

The Old School Emulation Center (TOSEC) is a retrocomputing initiative dedicated to the cataloging and preservation of software, firmware and resources for microcomputers, minicomputers and video game consoles. The main goal of the project is to catalog and audit various kinds of software and firmware images for these systems.
As of release 2012-09-15, TOSEC catalogs over 200 unique computing platforms and continues to grow. As of this time the project had identified and cataloged 466,396 different software images/sets, consisting of over 3.60TB of software, firmware and resources.

The initiative was founded on 18 January 2000, with the first official TOSEC website going live 18 August 2000, by a Dutch retrocomputing enthusiast using the pseudonym "Grendel". While the original founder of TOSEC has since ceased to have an involvement in the initiative, a dedicated team of volunteers continue to expand and contribute to the project.

The goal of the TOSEC project is to maintain a database of all software and firmware images for all microcomputers, minicomputers and video game consoles. In addition to this, the project also catalogs other computing and gaming resources such as software and hardware manuals, magazine scans and computing catalogs.

Using this data, TOSEC can provide quality assurance and auditing tools for cataloging and validating software images (such as ROM chip images, CD images and floppy disk images etc.) and computing resources (such as manuals and magazines).

The TOSEC database contains detailed information on images of hundreds of thousands of ROMs, EEPROMs, optical discs, magnetic disks, magnetic tapes, document scans, and other sundry media and individual files.

http://archive.org/details/tosec

atreyu187

TOSEC is dead for all intents and purposes besides the Dreamcast section, it has evolved into Trurip and it is much more accurate at replicating game data. Only reason Dreamcast TOSEC is still alive is we only have one way to obtain the data and the Trurip program isn't capable of dumping the disc due to the TOC being much larger then standard CD's. All new dumps will be released under Trurip and not TOSEC, was sad when we officially killed the project but times change.

Gh0st

Australia's finest since 1981
Thanks for that atreyu, I wasn't aware of that.. I'll go off hunting now hehe

atreyu187

No need to hunt all of our work for Trurip is on pleasuredome tracker and it is the home of the project. We are focused now on PSX, 3DO, and properly dumping Dreamcast pressed Mil-CD's like Gunlord, DUX 1.5 etc as until we had Trurip there was no way to produce an accurate image every time.

Gh0st

Excellent!
Im a member there already. Thanks for all your hard work with the project.
As you can see there's a few retro nerds here :)

atreyu187

Well we just hit out 1,000th confirmed Dreamcast game this month and even got a little notice on slashdot though I am not to sure I like my name on a site like that but honestly don't think many will complain to much about me dumping 10+ year old games. The USA and Euro Dreamcast sets are now 100% and I have even gotten a few rarities like Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas, MSR Opel Challenge and more added like two new pressed Virtua Tennis BETA's.

Gh0st

Very cool man, feel free to post any news about your project here.
We are obviously a bit more lenient with what we post here so you can link to pleasuredome etc :)

atreyu187

Will do, I have recently ripped two new Dreamcast games for the project that released this month. DUX 1.5 and Sturmwind as well. We have completed a lot of sets and even more on the way. We have even found out how to load DVDR disc on a unmodded Xbox. The tool we use when ripped just burn and it will work on a normal stock Xbox. I am surprised no one found this out years ago as it is simple. Make your xISO with the default xbe with no media flags patched then set IMGBurn to DV-ROM booktype settings and burn your disc. Once done insert into a stock system and enjoy your games.

IguanaC64

Not really dead...at least the Commodore section is still going. I just submitted a bunch of new .Tap dat files.

atreyu187

Sorry should have been more particular, TOSEC-ISO is dead not TOSEC itself. Only portion of TOSEC-ISO that is left is Dreamcast. The rest have all been replaced by Trurip.